Over A Century Ago . . .

In August 1893, the King's County Chronicle published an account of a game of golf which was played on the grounds of Mr Marshall's estate at Barrone Court near Birr. By October, a club had been established and members were invited to bring their friends who could obtain tea on the links. The club survived at Barrone Court until 1909 when it was decided to relocate to the Glenns on the Birr - Banagher road. The lands were leased from the Rosse Estate for a fee of one shilling per year payable in two half-yearly installments. The course has been carved out of natural woodland and eskers and its post-glacial provides a strong challenge for even the most accomplished golfers. The undulating fairways, the ridges, hills and hollows represent the nearest inland equivalent to the links courses around our coast.


"In August 1893, the Kings County Chronicle published a harbinger account of the game of golf, which had been talked about in the town and in the barracks of Crinkle as a new addition to the existing opportunities for disportment. In the article, golf is referred to as another form of exhilaration, No doubt about that but there is about the game being an ancient one. It was then but in its infancy.

"With tennis flourishing, cricket prevailing, and polo occasionally making its appearance, it might have been thought that the round of local outdoor amusements was complete. But another form of exhilaration is added by the introduction of an ancient game. The golf tournament at Baronne Court lately held came as an interest accessory to the catalogue.

The participation in the game by ladies who have established a reputation for cricketing is something to rely on. In their hand the result lies. The zealous interest they demonstrated in promoting the happy meeting on Mr Marshall's links needs only continuance to ensure the success that we hope will attend their efforts. "

(p.2-3, "Golfing in the Glens - The Story of Birr Golf Club 1893-2003," by Tom Nestor)